Hi guys! Remember my old friend Rumchata from this delicious ice cream recipe? – Rumchata Ice Cream with Cajeta Swirl – Yes, THAT one. If you haven’t tried it, you should, because you are missing out! I made some chocolate Kahlua pudding shots (not my recipe) a couple of weeks ago per a friend’s request, and although they turned out pretty good, they turned out VERY strong, even the cool whip swirl on top couldn’t cut out the alcohol. I’m not complaining, I know shots are supposed to be strong, but they may have been a little too much even for the avid Kahlua fan.
We got invited to a little 4th of July hoe down and I thought I might want to try a little blend of my own. I decided to go with a milder flavor, like vanilla, and add Rumchata and vanilla bean flavoring to make it smoother. If you are not familiar with Rumchata, it is a liqueur with the flavor of rice pudding, a favorite in Mexico. I topped the shot with whipped cream and sprinkled cinnamon just like a traditional rice pudding. These are a little thicker than your usual pudding shot – enjoy with a spoon!
What you need:
- 1 5.9 oz package of vanilla pudding
- 1 cup Rumchata
- 8 oz tub of Cool Whip, divided
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- cinnamon, for garnish
- Whisk pudding and Rumchata in a medium bowl until combined.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of vanilla extract (I also added about 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste – may be omitted)
- Add 4 oz of Cool Whip and whisk until blended
- Spoon pudding mixture into shot cups; Freeze overnight
- With the remaining 4 oz of Cool Whip, garnish the shots, and sprinkle with cinnamon
As always, I appreciate your comments, thoughts, questions, and ideas!